Communitythreads

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Crystal Ballroom Talk

My presentation was held on the 3rd floor in the East room. Seemed to reflect the earlier experience about solar plexus and East. The meeting began with someone at the podium reciting a quote by Nelson Mandella about children. Then a guitar player led us all in singing Crosby, Stills and Nash's Teach Your Children. Being greeted this way was very welcoming and I told them so.

I let my feelings lead me in this talk. I was totally spontaneous and went way outside the lines. Yes, I colored outside the lines! I talked about brain development in children and left and right brain, peace, whole system design, etc. I did generate heart response. However, when I was asked about statistics I didn't have the answers. Heart dominated and I left logic out. I stressed about this lack of information and how it had an effect on some in the audience.

I have to learn to stay more within lines and add a "cheat sheet" with stats so I can answer the logical questions. This balancing is going against my grain...which is a red flag for me. Why? Is it time to grow? Am I resisting? I much prefer coloring outside the lines and going with the flow. However, if I am to represent an agency I have to learn balance of emotion and logic.

I was encouraged by Arsenio's email this morning from the Alliance for A New Humanity about the First European Human Forum's Corporate Dialogue Conference. At the top of the event description is the statement:

"You can inform about what you know, but you can only transmit what you are." This comes through to me as support. Something I seem to need after that talk.

Several people did approach me after the talk thanking me and engaging in conversation. One gentleman asked if I had spent any time in India. He spends a lot of time there and this club is taking young business people to India for a month-long Group Study Exchange. On the back of the paper with Teach Your Children lyrics he had written his poem in Hindi and then translated it in English. This is the poem he handed to me:

For Peace
In this time of war

In this time of war
It is not too much
to hope for peace.

It is not too much
to wish for peace.

It is not too much
to pray for peace.

It is not too much
to work for peace.

It's interesting that with all the positive energy at this talk that I was weighed down by the negative. I stirred something up but I'm not sure what that is or what that means.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home