Communitythreads

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Alchemical Mercury

I went through daily motions yesterday but was in a "funk." I'm still not sunny and clear at core. This is not logical.

I awoke to a roundish face with beady dark eyes. It said, "Light will never find me." I said, "Light just did." Did my "projection" find that critter?

Is liquid silver metallic? Is it toxic? The beasts of silver dream were intriguing. I know it has to do with alchemy. Tracker weighs on me. It takes a lot out of me to deal with his force in my space. When I express kindness his way he thinks I'm being receptive to him. I'm not. I can't. I wish he would change.

Mercury from Alchemy Electronic Dictionary

Mercury, called quicksilver by the ancients, is a liquid metal that could be found weeping through cracks in certain rocks or accumulating in small puddles in mountain grottos. It was also obtained by roasting cinnabar (mercury sulfide). The shiny metal would seep from the rocks and drip down into the ashes, from which it was later collected. The early alchemists made red mercuric oxide by heating quicksilver in a solution of nitric acid. The acid, which later alchemists called "aqua fortis," was made by pouring sulfuric acid over saltpeter. The reaction of quicksilver in nitric acid is impressive. A thick red vapor hovers over the surface and bright red crystals precipitate to the bottom. This striking chemical reaction demonstrated the simultaneous separation of mercury into the Above and the Below. Mercury's all-encompassing properties were exhibited in other compounds too. If mercury was heated in a long-necked flask, it oxidized into a highly poisonous white powder (white mercuric oxide) and therapeutic red crystals (red mercuric oxide). Calomel (mercury chloride) was a powerful medicine, unless it was directly exposed to light, in which case it became a deadly poison. When mixed with other metals, liquid mercury tended to unite with them and form hardened amalgams. These and other properties convinced alchemists that mercury transcended both the solid and liquid states, both earth and heaven, both life and death. It symbolized Hermes himself, the guide to the Above and Below.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home