Communitythreads

Monday, November 16, 2009

Rise Up

I finally felt like working in my garden. Many days have felt like wings wrapped around me tightly and I had to stay in my cocoon. Now I feel more outgoing. Seems to be related to the chaotic tides that source from one's core. Stillness is critical...an art that has been forgotten in our "advanced" society.

I love working with the wheelbarrow. It's a good dance partner -- the one wheel is very maneuverable and we take the turns well. (Reminds me of the 3 new round-abouts that have been constructed here. It's fun to take those curves in my car. I love the motion and feel of that centri...force.) Wheelbarrow reminds me of Dad who used it to build rock walls and to give us kids rides. As I was shoveling and mulching I saw the earth move before me. I looked again....a salamander...black with a long gold stripe!!! Now, that is my idea of a true gift! Salamander was the first spirit animal to visit me in dreamtime many years ago.

I was talking to friend Lady Selah the other night and she mentioned she needed poetry for her radio show recording. I considered saying something about my poetry but held back momentarily. I did quietly mention it to her and she exclaimed, "And why don't I know that about you?" I guess I'm not good at promoting myself.

So, I spent yesterday afternoon at the radio station. I loved reciting the poems and felt very grounded. Thanks goodness I was not in one of those tidal waves. The studio was full of people: Peter Ali with his native flute music, a Puget Sound pirate, an Ojibwe storyteller (via phone) and another composer. There were a lot of challenges since this was the first taping and the engineer had a style unfamiliar to Selah, Program Director. So many things to anticipate before hand. The show will air Sunday, Nov 22 at 6:00 PM on 1150 AM -- Alternative Talk. I think my voice sounds very spacey and I'm self-conscious about the whole thing. And yet I better get over it if I'm to host a show with Native Elders and their stories.

I'm reading a summary review of the Pathways to Prosperity Initiative at UIATF. It's written by a genius...maybe several of them. I am now seeing how valuable formal education is if one is to be "successful" in this world. I am seeing how I have spaces in my brain that are vacant. There is language and information that I've never heard before. Layers and layers...spaces and spaces. As I read this sophisticated document I'm highlighting words and phrases that align with my vision of Circle of Life and assisting Elders in raising their voices. Next I have to ask them, "Do you want to raise your voice and add your story on the path of wellness? Do you want to be on radio and CD? Do you want to visit other tribes and exchange stories with other elders? Do you want more visibility via website and newsletter?" What new role do Elders play on the path to prosperity? I listen to their voices.

I think the problem with sophisticated grants is that the process cannot be organic. All these promises and projects are written down and expected to happen. I think it can be a set up for failure. Why? Because natural intelligence is organic and the pathway is shown as one moves on it....not before. This linear way of business is not natural. The community that is being served by the grant should be the ones determining what they want. Experts can be arrogant and leave out the very people they are trying to serve. More stillness...more listening space...less structure...more flow. And I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum where I try to fit my flow into a structure.

I was thinking that the reason for so much turmoil within is that a grounding is happening. The turmoil has to do with very sudden shifts of positive and negative feelings and thoughts in my body. These pertain to my own identity and have nothing to do with anyone else. So as the polarities shift and dance in intensity tidal waves are natural. I seek solid ground....and it is there even during the commotion. Everyone is feeling this intensity of shifting. It's a planetary song that is singing us. Rise up and sing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home