Communitythreads

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Storytelling

Met with native artist, Roger Fernandes, regarding Circle of Life project and grant. He had a lot of questions:

Why am I only working with natives?
(natives have a connection with this land/water/sky. How do I say it's where I'm led...where my heart is? And yet...maybe I should pursue the Boys and Girls Clubs)

Do I know my own cultural story?
(I never connected with my family blood lines even though mom did a lot of geneology of her Swiss heritage. How could I connect with people who never talked about feelings? Who is my tribe? Where is my home?)

Is a booklet the best way to tell stories?
(Oral teaching through breath is the old way he said. Anna thinks a CD would be a good way to tell the stories.)

Why am I doing this project?
(Circle of Life is my personal journey and one I want to inspire/teach others)

He wanted to get to know me...and my intention. He wanted to give our conversation time in order to see what might emerge. Working with the native community is very fluid. I'm glad I have more time to let this job creation process unfold. I so want to spend my time doing what I value.

This morning I called Anna to ask if I could read her Peace Elder story to the Singing Feet youth at the Duwamish Longhouse. She said yes. The youth and adults at the Longhouse were amazed by the story. I loved reading it to them...it was an honor. I hope to have another elder story to share with them the next time they meet.

Blue Heron Canoe skipper, Mike, invited me to join the Singing Feet group anytime. He said that I don't need an invitation anymore. That I'm family. That I can dance, drum and help out with the kids. Wow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home