Communitythreads

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Lummi Nation

I took two Native Elders to the Lummi Tribe Elder Program to have lunch and teach Circle of Life mapping. 15 elders were interested and engaged! I was surprised that no one talked about boarding school as a negative experience and there was no resistance to the project. In fact a couple of people who said they had to leave chose to stay and participate. There was curiosity and questions. Where was the lethargy I'd been runnning into? I went from elder to elder explaining the circle of life and how their story threads move with the natural seasons of the year. I was happy to tell them that their life is a sacred circle and it was gratifying to communicate with each one eye to eye. Anna Haala, Peace Elder, was very helpful. I stopped at the water to drum and offer gratitude...and was gifted a shell and bright white and rounded rock. We stopped at The Urban Longhouse to get a sense of that venue for a possible future event. The day was almost surreal -- a dream come true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home