Communitythreads

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Non-Attachment

The second time I spoke at city council I was quite intense/passionate. It surprised me. However, I go with the currents that move me. I spoke about cities that are being built around the concept of happiness and read some quotes from the book The Architect of Happiness by Alain De Botton. There are a couple of council members who engage when I speak with eye contact and smile. There are others who turn away or look down. The vote last night was 4-2 in favor of less density. One local businessman was very upset by this turn around and called one council member “devious”.

The City Manager mentioned the planting of trees and I asked him if they could be fruit or nut trees as this is the Transition model in Europe. He said no. Another staff person suggested that my friend and I attend the Tree Board and bring up the idea with them. Transition advocates planting crops and trees that provide food thus supporting resilient communities/cities. What common sense!

By writing in this blog or on Facebook I get to see my patterns of emotional and mental expression. I notice that I am passionate about what is up for me in the moment. This moment to moment dance (I’m enthused about this job and then another and another) is that river of life that moves me. Seeing this for myself I’m realizing that my life is about non-attachment. It's an emotional engagement that flows from one moment and circumstance to another. E-motion is the process and emotion the expression of non-attachment.

Passion takes on new meaning for me these days and revolves around the work I do with others in community. This is a new experience--full-filling and meaningful at a whole new level.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home