Communitythreads

Friday, September 18, 2009

Stories of Balance

I’m developing a friendship with a Native Elder. Anna is the woman who approached me after the first anniversary meeting at UIATF and thanked me for attending. I stopped by her house with garden vegetables. I told her about Circle of Life class and how East weaves story threads of childhood, South adolescence, West adulthood and North Elder or the current age of the storyteller. She lived in many foster homes and told me a story that holds both dark and light forces, a dream, an image and a spirit being who appeared to her as an elder Grandmother – a spirit who saved her life! I’ll include her story and image in my Circle of Life booklet. Grounded!

I notice that some UIATF staff are stressed just like the staff person at Bellevue College who I’m working with on the peace day event and just like staff I worked with at my previous job. Why are we working with so much stress? Why are we doing too much? More is not better. Faster is not better. Bigger is not better. Where is the “sacred feminine” that provides stillness and balance? Masculine discharge must be contained…with boundaries!! It’s imperative to say NO! (I think of cancer cells that are out of control.) The Bellevue College person says she does 130+ events a year. Why??? This is not healthy. This is not prevention of disease, this is a symptom of it. Every business should have green space where people can go to relax, meditate, tai chi, etc. and every neighborhood a park. I’m getting that this is not only about our well-being -- these places of rest are where and when we commune with the spirit world -- consciously or not.

Anna says she has elder friends who want to contribute to their community. Rather than complain about what is or isn’t happening how can I help her be part of the solution? I have some ideas. She wants the city to proclaim Bernie White Bear Day for their anniversary. Okay…I know how to do that and will show her. This can be part of their marketing/promotion campaign.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home