Communitythreads

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Greening Happiness



What’s the Truth telling me?  I look inside and outside.

Long distant relationships (orbs) have a lot of room to move.  Short distant relationships don’t have this room and the orbs bump into each other in various degrees.  Sometimes this causes sour notes, friction and collisions.  In community I learn about sour notes—my own and others and watch how they rearrange people/the parts.  Since I don’t want sour notes in my environment I have to make adjustments within myself and/or separate myself from people.  I am aware that I sometimes speak without thinking and lack sensitivity to others.  I am aware that I am often uncomfortable and awkward around people...even family. 

I have some new people who I am currently working with and feeling an easy harmony of give and take (Cathy Tuttle, Laura Musikanski and John DeGraaf).  They are offering feedback as I prepare a Coal Train Report Card for the scoping meeting on Dec 13.  As I reach out to seek endorsements from Sustainable Communities I receive feedback both positive and negative.  As a result I make adjustments in the talk so that it reflects the feedback coming in.  It’s work that involves new wires/muscles of assimilation so that what is presented is balanced, honest and intelligent. And while I assimilate information from others I have to keep my own integrity and say what I feel strongly about. This, too, is a give and take intelligence. 

I asked Dana for feedback regarding the happiness domains addressed in the report card.  At one point he asked, “What does that mean?” and when he offered logical language it felt like a hook that I could not grab or a trail that wound around where I could not go.  His logic had a pattern of movement that went from left to right then down and around! Why can't I do that? This report card process feels like right brain meeting left brain and working it so that it makes sense to the mainstream.  It feels a bit bumpy but I am receiving constant positive support from those people at the core.  People who are giving me the space I need to make adjustments.  I guess this is about respect and trust…and yes, love.

I unplug from the old and plug in to the new.  I showed Measure of Happiness at a Rotary club and they suggested I take the film to other clubs and introduce it to the mayor of Redmond.  I will meet him this week.  I am scheduled to show the film and speak at North Seattle Rotary club in February.  I continue to make contact with local clubs and have ideas as to how the Happiness Initiative and Rotary can partner.  Of course the reality of that partnership depends on feedback/response.  Imagine working for "happiness" an emotion behind a new political order!  Imagine spreading emotion that I never knew existed as a child growing up in an emotionally unconscious family!  Imagine magic!

I am and we are working in community though larger systems and networks now and I look forward to a new year in my life cycle…another year older and wiser.  I am spending time at three different homes and notice when I am outside how each one has a different song.  The environment that sings to me the sweetest is one that has very little asphalt/pavement.  It is one with native plants and green life.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home